Sunday, February 04, 2007

New Gear & Settling In


Hello, everyone. I'm still gradually settling into my new apartment and job. It's been quite a change with my move and job switch, but it's exciting and demanding, fun and arduous -- all at once. It'll take time for me to reach my normal comfort level, so to speak, but things are moving along and so far no major problems have occurred and some very good things have happened. I'm very grateful.

I bought some wonderful new photographic equipment today and I'm thrilled with it so far. I've only shot about 40 photos with it since it's dark outside now and it was later in the day when I actually bought it, and I'm still going through the user info., but it's (current) pro level equipment and I'm excited to start shooting photos with it ASAP. My last camera has become so outdated! I cannot believe the difference even between the point-and-click cameras of today and what I was using. I'd like to think that my prior shots were still good quality, but now I'll hopefully be able to take full advantage of the advances that have been made.

In any event, things are going well for me and I'm sorry for not updating very often here, but since the 1st of the year everything has been in a state of flux to a degree. New apartment, new job, new state I'm living in, having a roommate, etc.

Cheers for now, and here's a very bad test snapshot in my new apartment with my new camera - my cat says "hello!" lol

1 Comments:

Blogger Quentin W. Buetow said...

Living with a roommate entails compromise and understanding coupled with the ability to be flexible as well as agreeing on boundaries, Nightfly.

Whether you share a room, an apartment, a home, or even a cardboard box requires and demands that the individuals involved agree upon and be willing to work towards a common goal (i.e., the bills being paid, the sharing of mutually beneficial expenses etc.) as well as having the necessary freedoms and space to be autonomous and beholden to no one other than themselves.

The selfish "I" is no longer an employable or viable means of looking at the world; instead, it becomes a "we", an "us".

While privacy and autonomy is a much sought after goal, when two (or more) individuals make an agreement to share expenses, one must realize that a certain dynamic comes into play ... especially when quarters are cramped and living arrangements aren't considered to be the optimal.

One must be willing to adapt to these circumstances in order to maintain each individual's sense of personal space and be cognizant of the stark fact that it can't always be about "me" ... it becomes a partnership in the strictest sense.

It is incumbent upon each individual to be mature enough to handle said conditions and be willing to continually adapt as the situation dictates.

While you may view your situation as being " ... in a state of flux ... ", you should also stop to consider how the view appears from the other's perspective.

When one masters this ability, then - and only then - can progress be made. Living with someone else is no easy task - be it strangers, family, friends, or love interests - it requires ... no, it demands ... that one be able to adapt to ever-changing dynamic.

Routine, familiar, and comfortable is a good thing to seek; preferable even, but realistically speaking, what we want is not what we always get. It requires the ability to adapt, having an open mind, and ultimately, no small measure of self-sacrifice for the greater good.

The journey has only just begun, sir!

Q

Sunday, February 04, 2007 6:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home